Chinese ATV STARTING TROUBLESHOOTING
To start a Chinese ATV, it needs three things:
• A spark
• Cylinder compression
Here is the step by step instructions for starting your new ATV!
1. Put gas in the tank. Using an approved gas container, add at least a ½ gallon of gas to the gas tank.
2. Charge the battery. Access the battery by removing the seat or under the left rear fender. Make sure the battery is charged and maintaining 12 volts. This can be assured by trickle charging the battery at 2 amps for at least 2 hours after receiving and unpacking your unit.
3. Turn the run switch to the “on” position. The run switch (or sometimes referred to as the “kill” switch) has to be in the "on" position.
4. Turn on key.
5. Actuate choke. Some ATV’s have a choke lever located on the carburetor and is on when the lever is up. Some choke levers are actuated by a thumb tab on the left side handle by pushing it to pull a cable. Either way, the choke should be open to starting a cold engine.
6. Squeeze the left or right brake lever. Which one will be evident by the engine turning over when the appropriate lever is squeezed in.?
7. Press the starter button, usually located on the right-hand side easily accessible using your thumb. Start engine.
When starting your ATV for the first time, open the throttle a couple of times to get the gas flowing into the carburetor and the jets inside. After the engine “pops” the first time, then give it a little throttle and allow it to idle till it warms up.
After the engine warms up, turn off choke, slowly ride off and check to make sure tires are at the proper inflation and all systems operate.
Troubleshooting: ATV startup
If your ATV fails to start after the before mentioned procedure you will need to check several of the subsystems.
1. Fuel- To check if fuel is getting to the carburetor, you will need to pull the fuel line at the carburetor. This can be accomplished by either going through the left side just under the left side of the tank. Contact Power Dirt Bikes service technician for further troubleshooting advice.
2. Spark- to check for adequate spark at the spark plug you will need to either remove the spark plug installed in the engine or acquire another.
First, remove the spark plug wire by grabbing the boot at the plug closest to the head of the engine. Next, insert a plug into the boot on the wire making sure it is fully inserted for good electrical contact. Then place the plug gap end in contact with the head of the engine (this will ground the plug) so that you can observe the spark jumping the gap. Be careful not to hold the metal threaded portion of the plug while performing the following test. Next, have a friend press the starting button to see if you have spark jumping across the gap. If a spark occurs, the ignition system is good. If no spark occurs you will need to check if all wires are connected at the coil including the main spark plug wire. If all wires are connected and there is still no spark when the engine cranks over, contact Power Dirt Bikes service technician for further troubleshooting advice.
3. Starter motor not cranking- If the electrical system seems to be working but still no cranking of starter, check the fuse. Fuse is located at or near the battery connection of the main battery cables.
If you have any questions regarding starting your ATV, please feel free to contact our tech support team Monday to Saturday 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM PST at 800-580-9398 or firstname.lastname@example.org